Clinical advisers and clinical expert witnesses
Use your experience and knowledge and skills as a dental care professional to protect patients and maintain standards
We are looking to engage a minimum of 40 dental professionals in associate roles as clinical advisers or clinical expert witnesses at the GDC. As an associate and dental care professional, your in-depth knowledge and expertise will contribute to the maintaining of standards and professionalism across UK dentistry.
These unique and flexible roles provide you with an opportunity to expand your career and work with us to protect the public and to maintain confidence in the dental professions.
If you are interested in applying for these roles, here is what you need to know:
- Paid at a rate of £120 per hour for reports.
- You must be a practising and registered dental care professional in the UK.
- You will be provided with induction workshops.
- You will only be asked to accept instructions when you are available.
Clinical advisers are asked to provide clinical advice at the early stages of our Fitness to Practise process. You will be asked to produce reports which will help decision-makers to take a view on whether the information referred to our casework team should be passed for more detailed consideration by our case examiners.
Clinical expert witnesses provide expert opinions and evidence on cases referred for a Fitness to Practise hearing. Your opinions will assist the Practice Committee or Interim Orders Committee in reaching a decision on concerns raised about conduct or performance.
We are looking for people who are able to demonstrate the following skills and competencies:
- Substantial and in-depth knowledge of dental laboratory prosthetics and clinical prosthetics (where appropriate).
- Be able to work independently and confidentially with complex and sensitive issues.
- An ability to review and assess large volumes of complex documentation.
- Be an effective communicator, both in writing and verbally.
- To complete reports within agreed timescales and to a good standard.
- Demonstratable high standards of professional conduct.
- Have a good understanding of healthcare professional regulation in the UK.
As a clinical adviser or clinical expert witness, you will receive instructions from us on a range of different subjects. We welcome applications from all dental care professionals.
This is a self-employed role, designed to fit around your current work commitments. Please discuss the role with your employer before applying. Additional guidance and answers to frequently asked questions are available from our website.